object() can't have attributes

Neal Becker ndbecker2 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 23 07:46:00 EST 2015

I'm a bit surprised that an object() can't have attributes:

In [30]: o = object()

In [31]: o.x = 2
AttributeError                            Traceback (most recent call last)
<ipython-input-31-815c47907397> in <module>()
----> 1 o.x = 2

AttributeError: 'object' object has no attribute 'x'

Sometimes I want to collect attributes on an object.  Usually I would make
an empty class for this.  But it seems unnecessarily verbose to do this.  So
I thought, why not just use an Object?  But no, an instance of Object
apparantly can't have an attribute.  Is this intentional?