How to use a variable to act as @rule in a Sopel IRC bot module?

arresteddevlopment at tuta.io arresteddevlopment at tuta.io
Tue Dec 22 12:40:41 EST 2015

Hi everyone. I'm working with the Sopel (previously Willie and before that,
Jenni/Phenny) python IRC bot as I'd like to set up a trivia quiz for our IRC
channel.

With Sopel, the @rule decorator lets you set a string that the bot will
listen out for and which triggers a corresponding function when encountered.
So for the quiz I'd like the bot to confirm a correct answer by saying
"Correctamundo!" when someone gets the question right.

A. The first thing I tried was a nested function. After choosing a random
question from the q_and_as tuples list, it sets the answer (q[1]) as the rule
that should trigger the correct() function.

from sopel.module import commands, ruleimport randomq_and_as = [('Why?',
'because'), ('Can I kick it?', 'nope')]@commands("quizme")def ask_q(bot,
trigger):    q = random.choice(q_and_as)    bot.say(q[0])    @rule(q[1])
def correct(bot, trigger):        bot.sat('Correctamundo!')

For whatever reason the answer isn't triggering the correct() function when
done this way.

B. I also tried passing the answer (q[1]) to a separate answer function,
which would then set it as the rule that triggered the correct() function.

from sopel.module import commands, ruleimport randomq_and_as = [('Why?',
'because'), ('Can I kick it?', 'nope')]@commands("quizme")def ask_q(bot,
trigger):    q = random.choice(q_and_as)    bot.say(q[0])    answer(bot,
trigger, q[1])def answer(bot, trigger, answer):    @rule(answer)    def
correct(bot, trigger):        bot.say(' correctamundo!')

Again though, the function isn't being triggered. Any ideas where I'm going
wrong? Or is there a better way of doing this? Thank you.