Installing PyCharm on Windows

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Sun Dec 20 17:46:52 EST 2015

On 12/20/2015 4:54 PM, Chris Angelico wrote:

 > Want to run CPython 3.6 on Windows?
 > Go hunt down a compiler, fiddle around with it, and see if
> you can get everything to work.

No, much easier. Essentially the same steps as below after
following the instructions in the devguide to get the 2015 compiler.

> Want to run CPython 3.6 on a Debian system? It's probably as simple as:

> $ sudo apt-get build-dep python3

I think the equivalent step for windows come later.

> $ sudo apt-get install mercurial

OK, harder, hunt for Windows hg installer, or TortoiseHg if one likes
GUIs front ends as I do.  Also get svn.

> $ hg clone https://hg.python.org/cpython

Essentially same.

> $ cd cpython

cd cpython/pcbuild

> $ make

external.bat # for dependencies, which is where svn is needed.

I forget command line invocation to build python itself.  I use Explorer
and doubleclick python?.sln and the file association starts Visual
Studio..  There is a windows make.bat for doc building.  This all works
much better than a few years ago.  Many thanks for final tweaks to Zach
Ware.

> Want to try out that interesting-looking patch off the bug tracker?
> Same as the above, plus one little 'patch' command to apply the patch.

Ditto for Windows.

> I'm not going to force anyone to abandon Windows, but freedom does
> benefit even people who don't directly exercise it, so I would still
> encourage people to consider a culture of freedom.

We have free-as-in-beer Python on Windows *because* people were free, in
both senses, to develop it on *nix.

--
Terry Jan Reedy