Installing PyCharm on Windows

Josef Pktd josef.pktd at gmail.com
Sun Dec 20 12:15:28 EST 2015

On Sunday, December 20, 2015 at 3:29:34 AM UTC-5, Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn wrote:
> Josef Pktd wrote:
> ^^^^^^^^^^
> I doubt that is your real name.

But it's the name I used for almost all of my Python open source development, and can be easily googled.
except I misspelled my "name" josef-pkt when I set up my github account.

> > On Saturday, December 19, 2015 at 1:32:27 PM UTC-5, Thomas 'PointedEars'
> > Lahn wrote:
> >> Have you tried to install Python ≥ 3.4.4rc1 on Windows XP?  If yes, it
> >> cannot work; you need Python < 3.4.4rc1 instead (and you should seriously
> >> consider upgrading Windows or even better, to switch to a real operating
> >> system, like GNU/Linux – many of the latter come for free and give you
> >> more freedom than Windows):
> >
> > Thanks for the tip, I will switch away from Windows when I have an extra
> > year to figure out weird things in other operating systems.
>
> Ordinary people (as opposed to tech-savvy people) have been known to set up
> a current Linux distribution in a day and get accustomed to it in a week.
> Those “weird things” you are talking about are merely something that needs a
> little getting used to if you had gotten used to Windows.  Of course, not
> all people are (still) that flexible in their thinking.

Maybe I don't **want** to be this flexible because I allocate my "flexibility" to other things (instead of, for example, figuring out how packaging and paths work on Linux).

> > So far I never managed more than two weeks in a Linux virtual machine
> > before never opening it again.
>
> Your problem alone.

If I have a problem, then I assume many other Windows users will also have problems, if they are even willing to try.

> > PPS: The mainstream: Python and Windows ("it's not just for 'hackers'"):
>
> Non-Windows operating systems are not just for hackers since more than a
> decade.  They are for reasonably smart people, though, who would not give up
> at the first sign of trouble.
>
> And who cares about the mainstream opinion?

I do!

Almost all economists and econometricians that I know are using Windows. And I was working for many years on open software to get to a stage where they can use Python instead of commercial packages like GAUSS, Stata or Matlab.

The main target group are not programmers or users with a computer science background.

> > http://www.tiobe.com/index.php/content/paperinfo/tpci/index.html
>
> Thank you so much for providing that valuable reference. I am sure nobody
> here knew :->
>
> > https://www.netmarketshare.com/operating-system-market-share.aspx?qprid=10&qpcustomd=0
>
> A million flies can be wrong.
>
> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Windows#Third-party_analysis>
>
> > PPPS: Scientific Python mailing list have been free of snide remarks about
> > Windows users for a while, but not of real problems with Windows (or OSX
> > or Linux)
>
> Thanks to you that would have changed if this were a “scientific Python
> mailing list”.

I complained a few times on the mailing lists when the response to a question by a Windows users was to switch to Linux. It's not helpful in almost all cases, and now the standard response for setup problems is to use Anaconda or WinPython.

I also found it silly if Software Carpentry courses use exclusively Linux in the course and people are then surprised that users go back to their office and their Windows machine, and their commercial software, ignoring most of what they learned.

> Mine was not a snide remark, but the truth.  Those other operating systems I
> was talking about do give users more freedom.  For example, the freedom to
> use it on as many different machines as you like without an extra license,
> to see the source code, to modify it, and to redistribute the modification
> including an attribution to yourself.

"Richtige Männer nehmen Pitralon"  everything else is "unreal"

I'm writing BSD licensed software, but I never felt the urge to change more than a few options in the operating system, and was never interested in the "freedom" to fix the kernel (and I was never interested in fixing my car either).

Josef

PS: I learned a lot from this mailing list when I started with Python 12 to 15 years ago. But either the mailing list or my perception has changed in that I see now several or many comments that ignore that there are many users and developers using Python without an explicit programming background.