(Execution) Termination bit, Alternation bit.

Skybuck Flying skybuck2000 at hotmail.com
Sun Dec 20 06:25:30 EST 2015

"Richard Damon"  wrote in message news:QHody.3724$Bz5.3354 at fx04.iad...

On 12/19/15 9:03 PM, Skybuck Flying wrote:

> It could be usefull if the instruction pointer/return address that was
> pushed onto the stack when the interrupt handler was called can be
> modified by the interrupt handler so that when it returns the modified
> instruction pointer is popped from the stack.
>
> This would assume:
>
> 1. To be interrupted processor pushed it's own instruction pointer onto
> the stack.
> 2. To be interrupted processor pops it's own instruction pointer from
> stack.
>
> Bye,
>   Skybuck.

"
It would be an unusual machine where you couldn't modify the return
address on the stack to change the address you return to.
"

This does make me wonder how Windows 7 terminates threads/processes/hanging
applications.

Apperently there is some kind of mechanism for this.

Perhaps it's not fully exposed to application developers or perhaps in a
somewhat more complex way via all kinds of APIs ?

An example of how to terminate threads/processes instantly on Windows 7
could be interesting.

Bye,
  Skybuck.