Should stdlib files contain 'narrow non breaking space' U+202F?

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Fri Dec 18 16:56:05 EST 2015

On 12/18/2015 4:49 AM, Steven D'Aprano wrote:
> On Fri, 18 Dec 2015 05:51 pm, Chris Angelico wrote:
>
>> I would be inclined to ASCIIfy the apostrophes, dashes, and the
>> connection.py space that started this thread. People's names, URLs,
>> and demonstrative characters I'm more inclined to leave. Agreed?
>
> No.

No in the sense of a blanket rule.  But in at least some cases, yes.  In
idlelib/README.txt, ' somehow got changed to the a latin-1 encoded
slanted apostrophe (by Notepad++ I think) when I edited the file.  Since
IDLE *assumes* that the file is ascii-only and does not specify an
encoding, display failed on Serhiy's non-Windows system.  Issue 25905.
I changed it back. Other accidents should be fixed.

Guido also wants syntax chars and identifiers in stdlib code kept to
ascii only for universal readability.  Maybe that will change someday.

--
Terry Jan Reedy