How can I get/save Pandas DataFrame help content?

Steven D'Aprano steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info
Wed Dec 16 23:09:03 EST 2015

On Thursday 17 December 2015 13:48, Robert wrote:

> Hi,
>
> When I use Enthought/Canopy, help(DataFrame) has so much content that it
> exceeds the display buffer, i.e. its head is cut off as I go up to see it.

Step 1: report this as a bug to Enthought and/or the Python bug tracker.
help(DataFrame) should automatically choose a pager such as `less` on Linux
or equivalent (`more` I think?) on Windows.

Step 2: in the meantime, while you wait for Enthought to fix this, you can
try any of these:

(a) open the regular Python interactive interpreter (do you need help with
that?);  once you have the >>> prompt, import the module that DataFrame
comes from, then run help:

    import whatever
    help(whatever.DataFrame)

The regular interactive interpreter ought to automatically pick a pager. If
it doesn't, that's a bug.

(b) At the shell prompt (most likely a $ or # prompt) run:

    pydoc whatever.DataFrame

if necessarily piping it to the pager or file of your choice using your
shell's normal redirection syntax, e.g.:

    pydoc whatever.DataFrame | less

(Remember, this is at the shell $ prompt, not the Python >>> prompt.)

(c) If your OS can't find "pydoc", try this instead:

    python -m pydoc whatever.DataFrame

--
Steve