cannot open file with non-ASCII filename

eryk sun eryksun at gmail.com
Wed Dec 16 22:39:42 EST 2015

On Tue, Dec 15, 2015 at 11:04 AM, Ulli Horlacher
<framstag at rus.uni-stuttgart.de> wrote:

> Ehhh... I started Python programming some weeks ago and I know nearly
> nothing about Windows. I am a UNIX and VMS guy :-)

You should feel right at home, then. The Windows NT kernel was
designed and implemented by a team of former DEC engineers led by
David Cutler, who was one of the principle architects of VMS. There's
an old joke that W[indows] NT is VMS + 1. Actually, you'd probably
only notice a slight resemblance if you were coding a driver [1].
Microsoft discourages using the native NT API in user mode.

Windows client DLLs such as kernel32.dll usually implement an API
function in one of three ways, or in combination:

    using the native runtime library and loader functions
    (Rtl* & Ldr* in ntdll.dll)

    calling system services such as

        Nt* public APIs (ntdll.dll => ntoskrnl.exe)
        NtUser* & NtGdi* private APIs
        (user32.dll, gdi32.dll => win32k.sys)

    using a local procedure call (via ALPC or a driver) to a
    subsystem process such as

        csrss.exe    - Windows client/server runtime
        conhost.exe  - console host
        services.exe - service control manager
        lsass.exe    - local security authority
        smss.exe     - session manager

But this is all an implementation detail. The API could be implemented
in a totally different way in a totally different environment, such as
running WINE on Linux.

[1]: http://windowsitpro.com/windows-client/windows-nt-and-vms-rest-story