How does one distribute Tkinter or Qt GUI apps Developed in Python

Christian Gollwitzer auriocus at gmx.de
Wed Dec 16 19:29:00 EST 2015

Am 17.12.15 um 01:03 schrieb Bruce Whealton:
> I watched one training video that discussed Python and Tkinter. Like many similar tutorials from online training sites, I was left scratching my head.
>
> What seems to be blatantly missing is how this would be distributed. In the first mentioned tutorial from Lynda.com the Tkinter app was related to a web page. However, the browser cannot run Python Bytecode or Python Scripts.
>
> Surely, one is going to want to create GUI apps for users that are not Python Developers. I would not think to ask someone to install Python on their system and make sure it is added to the path. Maybe it is not so hard for the non-technical, average users.
>
> I would want to package in some way so that when launched, it installs whatever is needed on the end user's computer. How is this done?
> Are there common practices for this?
> Thanks,
> Bruce

On option is pyinstaller or py2exe, which converts a Python script +
dependencies into a single file (single directory) executable. Sometimes
you must give them hints what to include, but in general it works well.
It may create very large packages (if you include
numpy/scipy/matplotlib, you'll end up with ~60 MB)

	Christian