cannot open file with non-ASCII filename

Ulli Horlacher framstag at rus.uni-stuttgart.de
Mon Dec 14 17:11:05 EST 2015

Laura Creighton <lac at openend.se> wrote:

> Given that Ulli is in Germany, latin-1 is likely to work fine for him.

For me, but not for my users. We have people from about 100 nations at our
university.

> And you do it like this:
>
> # -*- coding: latin-1 -*-
> from Tkinter import *
> root = Tk()
> s = 'Välkommen till Göteborg'  # Welcome to Gothenburg (where I live)
> u = unicode(s, 'iso8859-1')
> Label(root, text=u).pack()

The problem is the input of these filenames.

--
Ullrich Horlacher              Server und Virtualisierung
Rechenzentrum IZUS/TIK         E-Mail: horlacher at tik.uni-stuttgart.de
Universitaet Stuttgart         Tel:    ++49-711-68565868
Allmandring 30a                Fax:    ++49-711-682357
70550 Stuttgart (Germany)      WWW:    http://www.tik.uni-stuttgart.de/