Help on class understanding in pymc code

Robert rxjwg98 at gmail.com
Sun Dec 13 20:45:53 EST 2015

On Sunday, December 13, 2015 at 8:10:25 PM UTC-5, Peter Otten wrote:
> Robert wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I follow code example at link:
> >
> > https://users.obs.carnegiescience.edu/cburns/ipynbs/PyMC.html
> >

> > There is the following code line:
> >
> > sampler = pymc.MCMC([alpha,betax,betay,eps,model,tau,z_obs,x_true,y_true])
> >

> > I want to know the detail of pymc.MCMC, then I get help content of it
> > with:
> >
> > /////////////
> > help(pymc.MCMC)
> > Help on class MCMC in module pymc.MCMC:
> >
> > class MCMC(pymc.Model.Sampler)
> >  |  This class fits probability models using Markov Chain Monte Carlo.
> >  |  Each stochastic variable is assigned a StepMethod object, which makes
> >  |  it take a single MCMC step conditional on the rest of the model. These
> >  |  step methods are called in turn.
> >  |    >>> A = MCMC(input, db, verbose=0)
> > \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
> >

> > help('pymc.Model.Sampler')
> > no Python documentation found for 'pymc.Model.Sampler'
> >

> > help('pymc.Model')
> > Help on class Model in pymc:
> >
> > pymc.Model = class Model(pymc.Container.ObjectContainer)
> >  |  The base class for all objects that fit probability models. Model is
> >  |  initialized with:
> >  |    >>> A = Model(input, verbose=0)
> >  |    :Parameters:
> >  |      - input : module, list, tuple, dictionary, set, object or nothing.
> >  |          Model definition, in terms of Stochastics, Deterministics,
> >  |          Potentials and Containers. If nothing, all nodes are collected
> >  |          from the base namespace.
> >  |  Attributes:
> >  |    - deterministics
> >  |    - stochastics (with observed=False)
> >  |    - data (stochastic variables with observed=True)
> >  |    - variables
> >  |    - potentials
> >  |    - containers
> >  |    - nodes
> >  |    - all_objects
> >  |    - status: Not useful for the Model base class, but may be used by
> >  |    subclasses.
> >  |  The following attributes only exist after the appropriate method is
> >  |  called:
> >  |    - moral_neighbors: The edges of the moralized graph. A dictionary,
> >  |    keyed by stochastic variable,
> >  |      whose values are sets of stochastic variables. Edges exist between
> >  |      the key variable and all variables in the value. Created by method
> >  |      _moralize.
> >  |    - extended_children: The extended children of self's stochastic
> >  |    variables. See the docstring of
> >  |      extend_children. This is a dictionary keyed by stochastic
> >  |      variable.
> >  |    - generations: A list of sets of stochastic variables. The members
> >  |    of each element only have parents in
> >  |      previous elements. Created by method find_generations.
> >  |  Methods:
> >  |     - sample_model_likelihood(iter): Generate and return iter samples
> >  |     of p(data and potentials|model).
> [...]

Thanks. Your answer does solve the problem, but I cannot follow your words.
When you run below code, what is 'pymc.Model'?

>>> import pymc
>>> pymc.Model
<class 'pymc.Model.Model'>

When I run:
aaa=pymc.Model

type(aaa)
Out[160]: pymc.Node.ContainerMeta

type(pymc.Model)
Out[161]: pymc.Node.ContainerMeta

I see that it is not '<class 'pymc.Model.Model'>'.

Thanks again.