python 351x64

Steven D'Aprano steve at pearwood.info
Fri Dec 11 12:18:39 EST 2015

Hi Jay, and welcome,!

On Sat, 12 Dec 2015 03:30 am, Jay Hamm wrote:

> Hi
>
> I was trying to use your windows version of python 3.5.1 x64.
>
> It has a conflict with a notepad++ plugin NppFTP giving
> api-ms-win-crt-runtime-I1-1-0.dll error on start up.
>
> This seems pretty well documented on the web. The work around is to delete
> the plugin and reinstall since it borks the install.

I think your definition of "well documented on the web" and mine differs
greatly. I've spent ten minutes searching for various combinations
of "python", "conflict", "nppftp", "api-ms-win-crt-runtime-I1-1-0.dll" etc.
with absolutely no relevant hits. Would you mind telling us where you found
this documentation?

I did find this:

https://notepad-plus-plus.org/community/topic/7282/notepad-system-error-on-startup-api-ms-win-crt-runtime-l1-1-0-dll-is-missing

but there's no indication that this has anything to do with Python.

> Since about every other admin I've ever known uses notepad++, you might
> want to fix this.

I'm not a Windows expert, but I can't imagine how installing Python would
uninstall api-ms-win-crt-runtime-I1-1-0.dll. But if it does, then it
probably shouldn't.

> Also your installer fails to set the permissions correctly:
>
> H:\>py -m pip install requests

[...]
>   File "C:\Program Files\Python35\lib\os.py", line 241, in makedirs
>   mkdir(name, mode) PermissionError: [WinError 5] Access is denied:
>   'C:\\Program Files\\Python35\\Lib\\site-packages\\requests'
>
> Once I gave myself control it started working.

What do you mean, you gave yourself "control?" Do you mean write permission?

I would expect that if you want to install to the system-wide site-packages
directory, you should be running as Administrator or other user with
permission to write to that directory.

If you don't have write permission to a directory when you are trying to
install software, of course the installation will fail. What makes you
think that this is a failure of the installer? I'm not a Windows expert,
but the behaviour looks correct to me.

> This is pretty shoddy for released software.

Well, some of us have used VMware in the past, and we could discuss "pretty
shoddy" bugs all day *cough* ESXi backup bug *cough* vcenter remote
execution exploit *cough* but since we're all friends here, how about
instead of trying to be insulting, let's try to determine exactly what the
alleged bug is so we can create a ticket and get it fixed?

--
Steven