python unit test frame work

Ben Finney ben+python at benfinney.id.au
Thu Dec 10 22:09:23 EST 2015

Cameron Simpson <cs at zip.com.au> writes:

> First, as Ben remarks, if one test _depends_ on an earlier one then it
> isn't a real unit test.
>
> On the other hand, if you simply have some simple tests followed by
> more complex tests (I have several like this) you have two facilities
> to help you.
>
> Firstly, I have observed that unittest tends to run tests in lexical
> order

Back on the first hand again, some unit test runners will deliberately
*change* the order so your test cases are tested for independence.

Really, if your test cases depend on being executed in a particular
sequence, the ‘unittest’ module is a poor fit.

--
 \       “Come on, if your religion is so vulnerable that a little bit |
  `\           of disrespect is going to bring it down, it's not worth |