non-blocking getkey?

Ulli Horlacher framstag at rus.uni-stuttgart.de
Thu Dec 10 03:28:29 EST 2015

Ulli Horlacher <framstag at rus.uni-stuttgart.de> wrote:

> > But... is there a windows program with which one can select files and the
> > result is written to STDOUT?
>
> Found it:
>
>         from Tkinter import Tk
>         from tkFileDialog import askopenfilename
>
>         Tk().withdraw()
>         file = askopenfilename()

My users do not like it :-(
They want to drag&drop files.
Therefore I have added it as another option to enter files:

	[f] select a file
	[d] select a directory
	[e] enter a file or directory (with drag&drop or copy&paste)

With [f] starts askopenfilename and [d] starts askdirectory

The problem with [e] is: my users do not press ENTER after pasting.

My idea now is: instead of raw_input() I use a get_paste() function, which
reads input character for input character and after a (say) 1 s timeout it
returns the string. Pasting a string with the mouse is rather fast, there
should be no big delay between the characters.

How can I implement such a get_paste() function?
I need a non-blocking getkey() function.

It must work on Windows and Linux.

--
Ullrich Horlacher              Server und Virtualisierung
Rechenzentrum IZUS/TIK         E-Mail: horlacher at tik.uni-stuttgart.de
Universitaet Stuttgart         Tel:    ++49-711-68565868
Allmandring 30a                Fax:    ++49-711-682357
70550 Stuttgart (Germany)      WWW:    http://www.tik.uni-stuttgart.de/

--
Ullrich Horlacher              Server und Virtualisierung
Rechenzentrum IZUS/TIK         E-Mail: horlacher at tik.uni-stuttgart.de