Accessing container's methods

Erik python at lucidity.plus.com
Tue Dec 8 17:37:46 EST 2015

Annoyingly, there seemed to be no responses to the original question
when I wrote that and then shortly after, I saw all the others (and we
all pretty much said the same thing - so I'm not sure why I was singled
out for special attention ;)).

On 08/12/15 19:02, Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn wrote:
> Erik wrote:
> ^^^^
> Please fix, Erik #75656.

Fixed(*)

Thomas 'PointerEars', you have chosen to selectively quote snippets of
code and comments out of context, so I think it's futile to respond to
those arguments individually. The original request (if you read it) was
to return a string that said, essentially, "I am element 2 of 3 in my
container".

You posted a "Quickhack" (which, to be fair, is an accurate description)
which is incomplete, has errors and makes no sense in the context of the
original question. We all know we can create a list in Python (of parent
objects or whatever), but I think that if you expanded on that class a
bit more (methods for the containers to update the contained objects on
just what their index/key is etc) that you'll soon realise it's not a
scalable option.

Also, WRT the original question, what is the method supposed to return
now? "I am element 0 of 3 in container <FOO>, key 'bar' of ('bar',
'foo', 'spam') in container <BAR>"? Just curious.

I'm interested in this response though:

 >> Generally, an object should not need to know which container it's in
 >
 > NAK.  All kinds of objects already "know" which container they are in.

Please elucidate. Examples from the standard library would be interesting.

E.

(*) In the sense that it's not going to change ;)