Is Python a good choice for a data logger?

villascape at gmail.com villascape at gmail.com
Tue Dec 8 08:30:16 EST 2015

Let's say there are multiple data-loggers (PCs probably running Linux) behind various firewalls which communicate to other devices on their respective LAN via a proprietary protocol using UDP/IP to collect data.  On perhaps a sixty second periodic basis, the data-loggers will send the data to a server located outside of their firewalls (via TCP/IP and probably using HTTP).  The server (probably running Linux) will store the data monitored by the data-loggers.  Web clients will then make HTTP requests to the server to retrieve the data.

Is Python a good choice for the following:

1) The data-loggers to pole data and/or receive data from the UDP devices and send the data to the server?

2) The daemon/application running on the server which receives the data from the data-loggers, and stores it in the database?

If Python is a good choice, please explain why.  Also, please provide a very high level strategy to implement (I am not asking for script, but just enough so I can initially focus on  learning those parts of Python).

Thanks!