storing test logs under /var/log/

Peter Otten __peter__ at web.de
Tue Dec 8 07:24:54 EST 2015

Ganesh Pal wrote:

[Cameron Simpson:]

>> Finally. sys.exit accepts an integer, not a string.

> Most of code  uses sys.exit("some error message")   ,  I did notice
> that the error message is not displayed by sys .exit("some error
> message") ,  do  u mean that using string is not advisable with
> sys.exit ?

Cameron is wrong (he's probably coming from the C side of things).
You can invoke sys.exit() with arbitrary objects:

"""
Help on built-in function exit in module sys:

exit(...)
    exit([status])

    Exit the interpreter by raising SystemExit(status).
    If the status is omitted or None, it defaults to zero (i.e., success).
    If the status is an integer, it will be used as the system exit status.
    If it is another kind of object, it will be printed and the system
    exit status will be one (i.e., failure).
"""

> How to I display error messages with sys.exit then ?

Wrong question; if you want to use sys.exit() in a way similar to C display
the error message first and invoke sys.exit() afterwards with a numerical
argument.