python 3.5: upgrading smart_open package

Laura Creighton lac at openend.se
Mon Dec 7 12:47:52 EST 2015

In a message of Mon, 07 Dec 2015 22:45:44 +0530, Anupam Mediratta writes:
>Hello,
>
>I have to use python 3.5 in my use case and one of the packages I use
>(gensim), in turn uses smart_open (https://github.com/piskvorky/smart_open/)
>
>smart_open depends on boto and boto fails on my machine running ubuntu
>15.10.
>
>So in order for me to be able to run gensim, I need to be able to migrate
>smart_open from boto to boto3 (boto3 works fine with python 3 and ubuntu
>15.10).
>
>There is an open github issue:
>https://github.com/piskvorky/smart_open/issues/43
>
>I am not sure how to go about doing this migration. If someone has any
>directions or guidelines I will appreciate.
>
>Thanks

You have a bad problem.
https://github.com/piskvorky/smart_open/labels/help%20wanted
is the other name of https://github.com/piskvorky/smart_open/issues/43

This issue is because the author of smart_open wishes very badly to
move to boto3, but hasn't, because he wants help with something.
Thus you cannot migrate until he does.

You should send mail to the author, which I looked up for you
and you can find here.
http://radimrehurek.com/contact/

Tell him that you want smart_open to work with boto3, and that you want
to help making that happen.  Then see what he says is needed and see if
that is something you can do.

Laura