Brief Code Review Please - Learning Python

qualityaddictorg at gmail.com qualityaddictorg at gmail.com
Sun Dec 6 12:21:07 EST 2015

[Note: Tried sending this twice to the Python-List mail list but I never saw it come through to the list.]

Hello everyone,

    I am beginning to learn Python, and I've adapted some code from Google into the function below.  I'm also looking at the PEP 8 style guide.  I'd appreciate a brief code review so I can start this journey off on a solid foundation.  :)

    * I've already changed my editor from tabs to 4 spaces.
    * I've also set my editor to alert me at 72 characters and don't exceed 79 characters.
    * I've named the function and variables with lower case, underscore separated, and meaningful words.
    * I've surrounded this function with two blank lines before and after.
    * I just recognized I need to pick a quote style and stick to it so I'll fix that (" " or ' ').
    * I'm not sure about the WidthAndHeight on lines 16 and 17 regarding capitalization.
        If I understand correctly a namedtuple is a class so the CapWords convention is correct.
    * Is how I've aligned the function arguments on lines 1-4 and 22-25 good style or \
        is spreading these out onto fewer lines preferred?
    * Same question as right above but with the if tests on lines 5-8.
    * I've also used ( ) around the if tests, but I'm not sure if this is good Python style or not.

 1  def measure_string(desired_text,
 2                     desired_font_family,
 3                     desired_font_size,
 4                     is_multi_lines):
 5      if (desired_text != '') and \
 6         (desired_font_family != '') and \
 7         (desired_font_size != '') and \
 8         ((is_multi_lines == "True") or (is_multi_lines == "False")):
 9          with Image(filename='wizard:') as temp_image:
10              with Drawing() as measure:
11                  measure.font_family = desired_font_family
12                  measure.font_size = desired_font_size
13                  measures = measure.get_font_metrics(temp_image,
14                                                      desired_text,
15                                                      multiline=is_multi_lines)
16          WidthAndHeight = namedtuple("WidthAndHeight", "Width Height")
17          width_and_height = WidthAndHeight(measures.text_width, \
18                                            measures.text_height)
19          return width_and_height
20
21
22  print(measure_string("some text\na new line",
23                       "Segoe UI",
24                       40,
25                       "True"))

Any and all feedback is much appreciated.  As I said, I'm just beginning to learn Python and want to start off with a solid foundation.  Thank you to everyone in advance for your time and thoughts.

  Jason