Unicode failure (Solved)

Dave Farrance df at see.replyto.invalid
Sun Dec 6 04:46:30 EST 2015

"D'Arcy J.M. Cain" <darcy at VybeNetworks.com> wrote:

>On Fri, 4 Dec 2015 18:28:22 -0500
>Terry Reedy <tjreedy at udel.edu> wrote:
>> Tk widgets, and hence IDLE windows, will print any character from
>> \u0000 to \uffff without raising, even if the result is blank or ?.
>> Higher codepoints fail, but allowing the entire BMP is better than
>> any Windows codepage.
>
>Thanks to all.  Following up on the various posts brought me to
>information that solved my problem.  Basicall I added "export
>PYTHONIOENCODING=utf8" to my environment and "SetEnv PYTHONIOENCODING
>utf8" in my Apache config and now things are working as they should.
>
>Thanks all.

Hmmm. I hadn't seen this post before replying to the original because my
newsreader put this post in a later thread because:

(a) The subject header was changed
(b) The reference header is for a post that's not present in Usenet

That raises another question.  I'm seeing a number of broken threads
because people reply to posts that are not present in Usenet.  It's not
just my main news-server because my newreader can gather posts from
several Usenet servers and those posts are nowhere on Usenet.

Case in point:  The post by Terry Reedy quoted above, reference
<n3t7jo$ae3$1 at ger.gmane.org>. I presume that it's on the list server
even though it's not on Usenet.  Anybody know what's going on?