msvcr100.dll missing ... error started after Windows 10 update to 10586.17

Glenn Linderman v+python at g.nevcal.com
Fri Dec 4 18:26:52 EST 2015

My wife's 64-bit Win8 home machine has 32-bit Python 3.3 installed.

Then it upgraded to Win 8.1. Then I upgraded it to Win 10. Then I
upgraded it to Threshold 2. It gets regular automatic updates also, like
the one last night to build 10586.17.

That's the history.

When she tried a python script today, it failed, with an error saying
that MSVCR100.dll was missing.

After a few false starts, like being surprised that the error happened
when it worked yesterday, and that there was an MSVCR100.dll in
%windir%\system32, doing a search for all MSVCR100.dll on her machine
discovered quite a few in various application directories, but then also
one in \windows.old\WINDOWS\SysWOW64, the light-bulb blinked on, I
copied that one to the \python33 directory, and everything works.

Why M$ chose to delete MSVCR100.dll from %windir%\SysWOW64 in the recent
update is a mystery, however.

So this is just a data point and warning and solution, not really an
expectation that anyone will be able to explain M$.

Glenn