Is Microsoft Windows secretly downloading childporn to your computer ?!

Grant Edwards invalid at invalid.invalid
Wed Dec 2 10:20:13 EST 2015

On 2015-12-02, Richard Heathfield <rjh at cpax.org.uk> wrote:
> On 02/12/15 08:57, Juha Nieminen wrote:
>> In comp.lang.c++ Steve Hayes <hayesstw at telkomsa.net> wrote:
>>> You download things FROM a computer, you upload them TO a computer.
>>
>> It's a matter of perspective. If a hacker breaks into your computer and
>> starts a download from somewhere else into your computer, isn't the hacker
>> "downloading" things to your computer?
>
> My understanding of the term has always been that you upload from a
> smaller device to a larger, and download from a larger device to a
> smaller. Thus, from your laptop you might *up*load data to a Web server
> or a mainframe, but you would *down*load data to your phone or tablet.

That's sort of the usage I'm used to, but it probably has more to do
with network topology than CPU power.  Servers on the internet are at
the top of the diagram, and embedded devices that can't access the
internet directly are at the bottom with my PC somewhere in the
middle.

--
Grant Edwards               grant.b.edwards        Yow! Are you still an
                                  at               ALCOHOLIC?