static variables

Ian Kelly ian.g.kelly at gmail.com
Wed Dec 2 09:15:59 EST 2015

On Wed, Dec 2, 2015 at 7:41 AM, Antoon Pardon
<antoon.pardon at rece.vub.ac.be> wrote:
> Op 02-12-15 om 14:11 schreef Steven D'Aprano:
>> On Wed, 2 Dec 2015 10:09 pm, Antoon Pardon wrote:
>>
>>> If you want your arguments to be taken seriously, then you better should.
>>> If you use an argument when it suits you and ignore it when it doesn't
>>> you are showing you don't really have an argument. You are just showing
>>> your preference and making it sound like an argument.
>> "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds."
>
> So? That doesn't show that we are talking about a foolish consistency here.

It's actually the truest use of the quote that I've yet seen on this
list. Emerson was complaining about those who adhere to opinions that
they've expressed in the past solely for the sake of appearing
consistent in their values, which is basically what you're accusing
Steven of not doing.

If you haven't previously read Self-Reliance, I would recommend it as
a good (and short) read.