Is vars() the most useless Python built-in ever?

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Wed Dec 2 04:28:57 EST 2015

On Wed, Dec 2, 2015 at 7:22 PM, Serhiy Storchaka <storchaka at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 01.12.15 03:00, Steven D'Aprano wrote:
>>
>> I'm trying to understand why vars() exists. Does anyone use it?
>

> I use vars() exclusively for introspection in interactive environment. As
> well as dir() and help(). Sad that it doesn't work with __slots__.

Maybe the upshot of all this is a post to python-ideas recommending
that vars() grow support for __slots__ types? If it's most often used
interactively, this would make it more useful there, and it wouldn't
break backward compatibility unless there's some way that people are
depending on it raising an exception.

ChrisA