python domain in China. This showed up on Python list

Steven D'Aprano steve at pearwood.info
Tue Dec 1 18:42:39 EST 2015

On Tue, 1 Dec 2015 10:49 pm, Laura Creighton wrote:

> In a message of Tue, 01 Dec 2015 02:51:21 -0800, Chris Rebert writes:
>>I hate to break it to you, but this seems to be just another of those
>>come-ons spammed out by various scummy businesses that trawl WHOIS
>>databases for people to scam into buying extra/unnecessary domain
>>names. Google "chinese domain scam" for more info. I've received
>>similar spams after having registered some .com domains that no
>>corporation could possibly legitimately want the .cn equivalents of.
>
> Ah...  Thank you Chris.  Sure fooled me.

You're not the only one. At my day job, we get dozens of these, about one or
two a month, and the first time it happened, I responded, at which point
they told us that if we paid $MANY we could register the domain <company
name>.cn before somebody else did.

At that point, we lost interest, as we have no business interests in China.
If somebody wants to register our name in China, let them.

--
Steven