Linux users: please run gui tests

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Thu Aug 27 14:32:12 EDT 2015

On 8/27/2015 4:56 AM, Petr Viktorin wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 7, 2015 at 4:07 AM, Terry Reedy <tjreedy at udel.edu> wrote:
>> Python has an extensive test suite run after each 'batch' of commits on a
>> variety of buildbots.  However, the Linux buildbots all (AFAIK) run
>> 'headless', with gui's disabled.  Hence the following
>> test_tk test_ttk_guionly test_idle
>> (and on 3.5, test_tix, but not important)
>> are skipped either in whole or in part.
>>
>> We are planning on adding the use of tkinter.ttk to Idle after the 3.5.0
>> release, but a couple of other core developers have expressed concern about
>> the reliability of tkinter.ttk on Linux.
>>
>> There is also an unresolved issue where test_ttk hung on Ubuntu Unity 3
>> years ago. https://bugs.python.org/issue14799
>>
>> I would appreciate it if some people could run the linux version of
>> py -3.4 -m test -ugui test_tk test_ttk_guionly test_idle
>> (or 3.5).  I guess this means 'python3 for the executable.
>>
>> and report here python version, linux system, and result.
>> Alteration of environment and locale is a known issue, skip that.
>
> On Fedora 21, the tests pass (Python 3.4.1 and latest dev version).
>
> On Fedora 23, I see:
>
> $ python3 -V
> Python 3.4.3
> $ python3 -m test -ugui test_tk test_ttk_guionly test_idle
> [1/3] test_tk
> [2/3] test_ttk_guionly
> [3/3] test_idle
> All 3 tests OK.
>
> $ ./python -V
> Python 3.6.0a0
> $ ./python -m test -ugui test_tk test_ttk_guionly test_idle
> [1/3] test_tk
> [2/3] test_ttk_guionly
> [3/3] test_idle
> test test_idle failed -- Traceback (most recent call last):
>    File "/home/pviktori/dev/cpython/Lib/idlelib/idle_test/test_configdialog.py",
> line 27, in test_dialog
>      d=ConfigDialog(self.root, 'Test', _utest=True)
>    File "/home/pviktori/dev/cpython/Lib/idlelib/configDialog.py", line
> 71, in __init__
>      self.LoadConfigs()
>    File "/home/pviktori/dev/cpython/Lib/idlelib/configDialog.py", line
> 1078, in LoadConfigs
>      self.LoadFontCfg()
>    File "/home/pviktori/dev/cpython/Lib/idlelib/configDialog.py", line
> 980, in LoadFontCfg
>      self.SetFontSample()
>    File "/home/pviktori/dev/cpython/Lib/idlelib/configDialog.py", line
> 858, in SetFontSample
>      self.labelFontSample.config(font=newFont)
>    File "/home/pviktori/dev/cpython/Lib/tkinter/__init__.py", line
> 1330, in configure
>      return self._configure('configure', cnf, kw)
>    File "/home/pviktori/dev/cpython/Lib/tkinter/__init__.py", line
> 1321, in _configure
>      self.tk.call(_flatten((self._w, cmd)) + self._options(cnf))
> _tkinter.TclError: expected integer but got ""
>
> 2 tests OK.
> 1 test failed:
>      test_idle
>
> Tk version: 8.6.4

Very puzzling. The only obviously even possibly relevant change from 3.4
to 3.6 is that the Tk version for 3.4.3 is 8.6.1. configDialog is
identical in 3.4 and 3.6.  Is this a transient failure or does it repeat
when you repeat the test?  Is Fedora 23 'stable' or 'in development'?

--
Terry Jan Reedy