isinstance() and multiple inheritance/ctypes

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Wed Aug 26 17:46:17 EDT 2015

On 8/26/2015 5:21 PM, Rob Gaddi wrote:
> I'm running into some strangeness trying to work with the bitfield module
> from my ctypes-bitfield package (on PyPi).  I'm trying to use isinstance
> (), and it's kinda sorta lying to me.

isinstace(inst, klass) is implemented as
klass.__instancecheck__(inst) ==
type(klass).__instancecheck__(klass, inst)
In other words, __instancecheck__ is a metaclass method.
Reference Manual, 3.3.4. Customizing instance and subclass checks

> ----- IPython session (Python 3.4 under Linux) -------
> In [649]: bf.__mro__
> Out[649]: (bitfield._TD, _ctypes.Union, _ctypes._CData,
> bitfield.Bitfield, builtins.object)

Find the metaclasses with "for cl in bf.__mro__: print(type(bf))" and
then take a look at the __instancecheck__ method if not 'type'.

--
Terry Jan Reedy