TypeCheck vs IsInstance in C API

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Tue Aug 25 12:56:49 EDT 2015

On 8/25/2015 10:32 AM, random832 at fastmail.us wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 24, 2015, at 22:12, Andrew Wang wrote:
[question snipped]

> And, now, your moment of zen:

Huh??  I fail to see the point of this buggy code.

>> def isa(ob, cl):
>>    try:
>>        raise ob
>>    except cl:
>>        return 1
>>    else: return 0

The extra marginal '>' quote makes it look like this buggy code was
posted by Andrew, but it comes from random832.  In 3.x, both ob and cl
must be exceptions and isa(1, int) cannot work. In 2.7, ob must be an
exception or old-style class (not documented that I see).

 >>> raise 1

Traceback (most recent call last):
   File "<pyshell#32>", line 1, in <module>
     raise 1
TypeError: exceptions must be old-style classes or derived from
BaseException, not int

Hence, isa(1, int) raises TypeError instead of returning 1. If 'else' is
changed to 'except', it returns 0 instead of 1.

--
Terry Jan Reedy