Bug!

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Fri Aug 21 21:02:32 EDT 2015

On Sat, Aug 22, 2015 at 9:53 AM,  <sohcahtoa82 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Friday, August 21, 2015 at 3:42:36 PM UTC-7, hamilton wrote:
>> On 8/21/2015 1:41 PM, Chris Angelico wrote:
>> > Python 3.5 does not support Windows XP.
>>
>> Is there a simple explanation for this ?
>>
>> Or is it just is.
>
> I have no relationship with the Python developers, but I would say that running such an old operating system is simply irresponsible due to security issues and should be discouraged in any way possible.
>
> Windows XP is 14 years old.  In the computing world, that's *ancient*.  It's time to upgrade and join the modern world.

The security concerns of XP aren't Python's problem, and Python isn't
in the business of twisting people's arms to make them upgrade just
for the sake of upgrading. However, every new version of Windows
introduces new APIs and features, so maintaining support for an older
version means ignoring all features added since then; conversely,
dropping support for XP means taking advantage of anything that was
added in Vista. That's why the change in support.

ChrisA