"no module named kivy" import error in ubuntu 14.04

rurpy at yahoo.com rurpy at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 17 19:35:44 EDT 2015

On 08/17/2015 01:52 AM, Laura Creighton wrote:
> In a message of Sun, 16 Aug 2015 22:05:29 -0700, rurpy--- via Python-list writes:
>> So I eventually found the kivy docs on their website where they
>> list prerequisite packages for installing kivy on ubuntu.  I'll
>> translate those to hopefully the equivalent fedora package names,
>> install them, reinstall kivy, and get a working kivy install.

Actually, right after I posted, I saw a Fedora-specific list of
packages on the kivy website. However, after I installed them
and reinstalled kivy I still got the same set of missing package
warning that I got before.
And hoping that the packages just enabled optional features I
tried running the simple "hello-world" program from their website.
It died horribly:

| [CRITICAL] [Window ] Unable to find any valuable Window provider at all!
| egl_rpi - ImportError: cannot import name 'bcm'
| File "/usr/lib64/python3.4/site-packages/kivy/core/__init__.py", line 57, in core_select_lib
and
| x11 - ImportError: No module named 'kivy.core.window.window_x11'
| File "/usr/lib64/python3.4/site-packages/kivy/core/__init__.py", line 57, in core_select_lib
| fromlist=[modulename], level=0)
| [CRITICAL] [App ] Unable to get a Window, abort.

>> The point here that all the above is a LONG way from what was
>> was posted here: "just type 'pip install kivy' and pip will take
>> care of everything".
>>
>> I hope someday Python gets a decent packaging/distribution story.
>
> Can you post what one should do with modern Fedora distributions, so
> we can tell the kivy-devs and they can update that webpage?

Unfortunately I have no idea what one should do. The standard response
in this group is that pip knows, hence I don't need to. I just wanted
to point out the fallacy of that.