Old DbaseV DOS Programmer wants to step over to new/actual modern program software

Adriaan Renting renting at astron.nl
Mon Aug 17 06:29:25 EDT 2015

For building new programs using free software, I currently like a mix
of Qt, Python, C++ and various open source SQL databases (MySQL,
PostGreSQL). I have found QtCreator an easy IDE to use in such cases, I
don't really like Eclipse.
But it requires a heavy knowledge of C++, which is not an easy
language, if you want to use Qt directly.
PyQt works for smaller projects, I've used it with
http://eric-ide.python-projects.org/ in the past.

A few things you need to ask yourself:
- How much time do I have?
- Who are my users, what OS/systems do they use? I like Qt because it
allows me to create programs for all kinds of operating systems.
- How do I want to distribute my software? Is it a problem if a user is
able to read the souce code?
- How well do I really know Dbase V? What do I want to do the same and
what differently? My dad worked with Dbase III/IV/V for years, but
learned how to program it by changing the autogenerated code, which is a
horrible way to learn programming and leads to very bad habbits.
- What kind of programs are you trying to make? There also exist a lot
of more specialized solutions, like http://www.4d.com/, which might suit
your needs, if you're looking for a dBase replacement.

Cheers

Adriaan Renting        | Email: renting at astron.nl
Software Engineer Radio Observatory
ASTRON                 | Phone: +31 521 595 100 (797 direct)
P.O. Box 2             | GSM:   +31 6 24 25 17 28
NL-7990 AA Dwingeloo   | FAX:   +31 521 595 101
The Netherlands        | Web: http://www.astron.nl/~renting/

>>> On 16-8-2015 at 20:40, Vladimir Ignatov <kmisoft at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Aug 16, 2015 at 1:11 PM, Rustom Mody <rustompmody at gmail.com>
wrote:

>>> I have some ideas in mind like Java with (ECLIPS) because it is
very
> popular, it is the most widely used and can get tutorials and videos
all over
> the internet.
>>> I've read a lot of good things about Python, that it is much easier
but too
> complicate to define what to choose,
>>> at the first place witch version 2.x or 3.x, a lot of IDE's to
choose from,
> beside of that witch IDE with what pluggin.
>
> Hi,
>
> I am using python for years but still curious about best IDE to
suggest
> newbies.
> IMHO - too many choices with no clear winner and each with its own
flaws.
> For me two crucial features are: good autocompletion and ability to
> step over code in debugger.
> I'd try Eclipse+PyDev first and then additionally check PyCharm
($$$)
> for comparison (to see how "best free" compares to "good
commercial")