"no module named kivy" import error in ubuntu 14.04

Dave Farrance df at see.replyto.invalid
Mon Aug 17 01:11:38 EDT 2015

shiva upreti <katewinslet626 at gmail.com> wrote:

>Hi
>I am new to linux. I tried various things in attempt to install kivy. I installed python 2.7.10

Just to make clear what others have said -- replacing Ubuntu 14.04's
system Python 2.7.6 is a bad idea and will break stuff, so if you really
must have the latest version of Python2, then you install it separately,
leaving the system Python in place. That in turn means that you can no
longer use Ubuntu's normal method of installing libraries via its own
software management.

> Then i downloaded kivy from
> https://pypi.python.org/packages/source/K/Kivy/Kivy-1.9.0.tar.gz

I suggest that you DON'T install from tarfiles unless your understanding
of Python is of near python-developer level. You really need to know
what you're doing regarding dependencies and the search path for
modules.

If you do want to install a separate instance of the latest version of
Python, then the PIP package management is best, and use it to install
the libraries separately, NOT in the /usr/ directory -- see the other
posts.