"no module named kivy" import error in ubuntu 14.04

rurpy at yahoo.com rurpy at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 17 01:05:29 EDT 2015

On Sunday, August 16, 2015 at 10:14:29 PM UTC-6, Laura Creighton wrote:
> In a message of Sun, 16 Aug 2015 20:19:49 -0700, rurpy--- via Python-list writes:
> >On Sunday, August 16, 2015 at 8:00:14 PM UTC-6, Chris Angelico wrote:
> >>[...]
> >> use pip (maybe inside a virtualenv). It'll chug for a while and
> >> then give you what you need.
> >
> >Umm, actually no...
> >
> >| ~# pip3 install kivy
> >| Downloading/unpacking kivy
> >|   Downloading Kivy-1.9.0.tar.gz (16.2MB): 16.2MB downloaded
> >|   Running setup.py (path:/tmp/pip-build-m40337r5/kivy/setup.py) egg_info for package kivy
> >|     Traceback (most recent call last):
> >|       File "<string>", line 17, in <module>
> >|       File "/tmp/pip-build-m40337r5/kivy/setup.py", line 173, in <module>
> >|         from Cython.Distutils import build_ext
> >|    ImportError: No module named 'Cython'
> >|     Cython is missing, its required for compiling kivy !
> >
> >(on Fedora-21 where no kivy repo package is available)
> >--
>
> If you scroll down
> http://kivy.org/docs/installation/installation-linux.html
>
> there are instructions for Fedora as well.

Thanks.  But I note that those are all for very old, EoL'd versions
of Fedora.

I manually installed cython with pip, but then the kivy install
failed with some C errors.  At the top of it's multi-thousand line
log output was a warning that it requires cython-0.21.2.  Pip had
installed cython-0.23.  I installed cython-0.21.2 (since I do not
use cython for anything else and noting that pip did not bother
to inform me it was overwriting an existing install) and then pip
installed kivy without error.  However there were a number of
warning message about missing somethings (libs or python packages,
was not clear to me).

So I eventually found the kivy docs on their website where they
list prerequisite packages for installing kivy on ubuntu.  I'll
translate those to hopefully the equivalent fedora package names,
install them, reinstall kivy, and get a working kivy install.

The point here that all the above is a LONG way from what was
was posted here: "just type 'pip install kivy' and pip will take
care of everything".

I hope someday Python gets a decent packaging/distribution story.