problem with netCDF4 OpenDAP

Jason Swails jason.swails at gmail.com
Fri Aug 14 09:15:17 EDT 2015

> On Aug 14, 2015, at 3:18 AM, Tom P <werotizy at freent.dd> wrote:
>
> Thanks for the reply but that is not what the documentation says.
>
> http://unidata.github.io/netcdf4-python/#section8
> "Remote OPeNDAP-hosted datasets can be accessed for reading over http if a URL is provided to the netCDF4.Dataset constructor instead of a filename. However, this requires that the netCDF library be built with OPenDAP support, via the --enable-dap configure option (added in version 4.0.1).”

​Huh, so it does.  Your error message says "file not found", though, which suggested to me that it's trying to interpret the NetCDF file as a local file instead of a URL.  Indeed, when I run that example, the traceback is more complete (the traceback you printed had omitted some information):

>>> netCDF4.Dataset('http://www1.ncdc.noaa.gov/pub/data/cmb/ersst/v3b/netcdf/ersst.201507.nc')
syntax error, unexpected WORD_WORD, expecting SCAN_ATTR or SCAN_DATASET or SCAN_ERROR
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
  File "netCDF4/_netCDF4.pyx", line 1547, in netCDF4._netCDF4.Dataset.__init__ (netCDF4/_netCDF4.c:9551)
RuntimeError: NetCDF: file not found

So it’s clear that netCDF4 is at least *trying* to go online to look for the file, but it simply can’t find it.  Since the docs say it’s linking to libcurl, I tried using curl to download the file (curl -# http://www1.ncdc.noaa.gov/pub/data/cmb/ersst/v3b/netcdf/ersst.201507.nc > test.nc) and it worked fine.  What’s more, it *seems* like the file (/pub/.../ersst.201507.nc.dds) was decorated with the ‘.dds’ suffix for some reason (not sure if the server redirected the request there or not).  But this looks like a netCDF4 issue.  Perhaps you can go to their project page on Github and file an issue there -- they will be more likely to have your answer than people here.

HTH,
Jason