Is Django the way to go for a newbie?

Michael Torrie torriem at gmail.com
Thu Aug 13 23:10:42 EDT 2015

On 08/13/2015 07:30 PM, Rustom Mody wrote:
> Nothing specifically Django I am getting at.
> Just that learning
> - a templating engine -- eg Cheetah, Mako
> - an ORM eg SQLAlchemy
> - etc
>
> is more fun than learning to chant the right mantras that a framework
> demands without any clue of what/why/how

Indeed.  It's this very thing that you speak of that makes web
development very discouraging to me because it does demand knowledge of
quite a few separate but interconnected domains and their specific
languages.  In my original post I had forgotten to mention ORM, though I
did mention SQL.  Adding abstraction in theory makes things easier.  In
practice it's often kind of like the old saying about solving a problem
using regular expressions.