Module load times

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Thu Aug 13 22:38:35 EDT 2015

On Fri, Aug 14, 2015 at 12:25 PM, Joseph L. Casale
<jcasale at activenetwerx.com> wrote:
> Yeah that wasn't clear. The plugins are invoked in fresh interpreter processes
> and hence modules with import side effects or simply large modules can
> manifest over time.

If they're invoked in fresh processes, then you're looking at process
startup time, and I would recommend using OS-level tools to play
around with that. Unix-like systems will usually have a 'time' command
which will tell you exactly how much wall and CPU time a process took
needed; just create a system that starts up and promptly shuts down,
and then you can test iterations that way.

Of course, there are a million and one variables (disk caches, other
activity on the system, etc), but it's better than nothing.

ChrisA