Is Django the way to go for a newbie?

Michael Torrie torriem at gmail.com
Thu Aug 13 21:05:10 EDT 2015

On 08/10/2015 10:08 PM, Rustom Mody wrote:
> On Tuesday, August 11, 2015 at 8:59:47 AM UTC+5:30, Michael Torrie wrote:
>> On 08/10/2015 07:49 PM, Dwight GoldWinde wrote:
>>> Thank you, Gary, for this new information.
>>>
>>> I will be looking into virtualenv and vertualenvwrapper.
>>>
>>> I thought that Django was an IDE. But, it seems that an IDE is one more
>>> thing that I need that I didn¹t know I needed!?
>>
>> Django is a programming _library_ (also called a framework)
>
> Please dont conflate library and framework.
> Library, framework, DSL are different approaches for solving similar problems.
> I personally tend to prefer DSL's, dislike frameworks and am neutral to libraries.
> Which is why I would tend to start with flask + template-language + ORM
> rather than start with a framework.
> Others may have for very good reasons different preferences and that is fine¹.
>
> But if you say equate all these, discussion becomes a mess.

Ahh. Well at least you didn't rail on me for being too lazy to
capitalize acronyms like html.

Given that until recently he thought Django was an IDE, I think calling
Django a library is fair, as it describes to him how it relates to
Python.  You download it and install it and it goes in site-packages
along with all the other libraries you might install.  Of course it
comes with utilities as well (which I mentioned).  Making the
distinctions you are making, in this context, is probably ultimately
going to be confusing to him at this stage of the game.  As he gets
familiar with django I don't think he'll find this original
simplification confusing, nor has it seemed to make this discussion a mess.

As to the DSL, I'm not quite sure which part of django you're getting
at.  Are you referring to the (optional) templating system?