AttributeError

Denis McMahon denismfmcmahon at gmail.com
Wed Aug 12 17:16:41 EDT 2015

On Wed, 12 Aug 2015 11:35:03 -0700, Ltc Hotspot wrote:

> How do I define time in the revised code ?

I'm guessing that you have a line of input like:

word word word timestamp word word word word

and that timestamp looks something like:

hh:mm:ss

Start of by defining a list with 24 elements all integer 0.

Open the file.

for each line, first you trim it, then you split it on spaces, you take
the relevant element of the list of bits as the timestamp, and then you
split that on the ':' character, then you take the int value of the hours
element of that list and use that as the index into your list to update
the count.

Processing a file takes very few lines of actual code. There is no need
to use a dictionary, you can do it with a single list and no sorting.
This is a solution in 8 lines, and assumes that the actual requirement is
to count, for each hour, the number of log messages generated in that
hour, and then display, listed by hour, the number of messages generated
in each hour during the day. It also assumes that there is a timestamp of
the form hh:mm:ss that always appears at the same word position X in each
line in the file, and that the hours record always at position Y in the
timestamp.

c = [0 for i in range(24)]
f = open(filename,'r')
for l in f:
    h = int(l.strip().split()[X].split(':')[Y])
    c[h] = c[h] + 1
f.close()
for i in range(24):
    print '{:02d} {}'.format(i, c[i])