Pipes

Larry Hudson orgnut at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 11 00:48:12 EDT 2015

On 08/10/2015 01:43 PM, E.D.G. wrote:
[snip]
>        It has been my experience that researchers, particularly scientists, need to have some
> versatile and powerful programming language available that is compatible with the Windows
> operating system.  The language needs to make certain resources available to the researchers.
> And in some form it should ultimately be compatible with other operating systems.
[snip]

This is just a comment that may or may not be worthwhile...

I just ran across a new O'Reilly book, Effective Computation in Physics (subtitle: Field Guide
to Research with Python), ISBN: 978-1-491-90153-3.  It seems to cover all the subjects you bring
up, and specifically uses Python.

I have only glanced through it and I'm not ready to comment on it myself -- (Aside:  I was once
a physics major (unfortunately unsuccessful), but that was a loooooonnngg time ago.)  But
quoting the blurb on the back cover...

<quote>
More physicists today are taking on the role of software development as part of their research,
but software development isn't always easy or obvious, even for physicists.  This practical book
teaches essential software development skills to help you automate and accomplish nearly any
aspect of research in a physics-based field.

Written by two PhDs in nuclear engineering, this book includes practical examples drawn from a
working knowledge of physics concepts.  You'll learn now to use the Python programming language
to perform everything from collecting and analyzing data to building software and publishing
your results.
</quote>

I don't know if a book is relevant to your needs, but I thought it was worth mentioning.

      -=- Larry -=-