Is Django the way to go for a newbie?

Dwight GoldWinde Dwight at GoldWinde.com
Mon Aug 10 21:49:01 EDT 2015

Thank you, Gary, for this new information.

I will be looking into virtualenv and vertualenvwrapper.

I thought that Django was an IDE. But, it seems that an IDE is one more
thing that I need that I didn¹t know I needed!?

BIG SMILE...

Always, Dwight

www.3forliving.key.to (video playlist on YouTube)
www.couragebooks.key.to (all my books on Amazon)

On 08/08/2015 09:08 PM, Dwight GoldWinde wrote:

> I am both new to Python and I haven¹t even touched Django yet.
>

> I understand I that I need Django or something like it to develop my website.
>

> From what I have read, Python and Django somewhat go together.
>

> Is that true?
>

> Or is there another development platform better for someone like me than
> Django?
>

> Any and all feedback or questions are much appreciated.
>

> BIG SMILE...
>

> Always, Dwight
>

> www.3forliving.key.to <http://www.3forliving.key.to>  (video playlist on
> YouTube)
>
> www.couragebooks.key.to <http://www.couragebooks.key.to>  (all my books on
> Amazon)

 I'm also somewhat of a newbie but seem to be a little further down the road
than you are. So hear is some advise from someone with recent bruises.

 The advise to learn python first is a very good piece of advice. I tried
Postgresql and Django first and got bogged down just about the time that I
was starting to get past the setup phase. You might try "Learning Python The
Hard Way". It's working for me.

 Django v.s. other frameworks. It depends on what you want to do. I'm
working on a data archiving project so the fact that Dango was / is
developed by a couple of newspaper journalists fits well with my project.
This may not be true for you. I will say that once you set the system up you
will probably never see the sql database again. A very good thing.

 What ever you do set up virtualenv and vertualenvwrapper. Not only will
this keep you project code away from the rest of your system, it will allow
you to run different versions of software simultaneously.
 (Note: Unless you are using SQLite your database engine will be installed
globally. Everything else inside the wrapper using pip.)

 There are a lot of scripting languages out there and everyone has a
favorite. No matter what Python strikes me as being a good choice. You will
need some kind of an Integrated Development Environment (IDE). I happen to
like Ninja-Ide. (Don't everyone start throwing rocks. We all have our
favorites. An no, I haven't checked them all out.)

 This is my first programming in some years too. I use to be a whiz at
fortran, C and Xbase but haven't done anything since I retired.

 Good luck

 Gary R