Pipes

Emile van Sebille emile at fenx.com
Sun Aug 9 14:51:44 EDT 2015

On 8/9/2015 10:55 AM, rogerh906 at gmail.com wrote:
> On Sunday, August 9, 2015 at 8:11:18 AM UTC-6, roge... at gmail.com wrote:
>> Just learning Python and have a question.
>>
>> Is it possible for Python to pass information to another program
 >>(in Windows), wait for that program to finish and then resume operating?
>>
>> It's called a pipe in Unix systems.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Roger
>
> Nevermind, I found it. Thanks for the pointer. But WOW! Python is described
 > as an easy to learn language. I don't think so!

Well, 2.7 only has 31 keywords most of which are easily understood[1],
as is the enforced indentation structure.  Also, pipes and interprocess
communications aren't usually CS101 level classes.  The libraries are
where things get interesting and where you should focus your attention.

https://docs.python.org/2/library/ is the official docs, but effbot's
guide, while old, is not entirely obsolete and still provides a nice
overview of things.  See http://effbot.org/zone/librarybook-index.htm

Emile

[1]
and       del       from      not       while
as        elif      global    or        with
assert    else      if        pass      yield
break     except    import    print
class     exec      in        raise
continue  finally   is        return
def       for       lambda    try