Linux users: please run gui tests

Peter Otten __peter__ at web.de
Fri Aug 7 04:48:51 EDT 2015

Terry Reedy wrote:

> Python has an extensive test suite run after each 'batch' of commits on
> a variety of buildbots.  However, the Linux buildbots all (AFAIK) run
> 'headless', with gui's disabled.  Hence the following
> test_tk test_ttk_guionly test_idle
> (and on 3.5, test_tix, but not important)
> are skipped either in whole or in part.
>
> We are planning on adding the use of tkinter.ttk to Idle after the 3.5.0
> release, but a couple of other core developers have expressed concern
> about the reliability of tkinter.ttk on Linux.
>
> There is also an unresolved issue where test_ttk hung on Ubuntu Unity 3
> years ago. https://bugs.python.org/issue14799
>
> I would appreciate it if some people could run the linux version of
> py -3.4 -m test -ugui test_tk test_ttk_guionly test_idle
> (or 3.5).  I guess this means 'python3 for the executable.
>
> and report here python version, linux system, and result.
> Alteration of environment and locale is a known issue, skip that.

The first attempt gave

$ python3.5 -m test -ugui test_tk test_ttk_guionly test_idle
[1/3] test_tk
[2/3] test_ttk_guionly
test test_ttk_guionly failed -- Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.5/tkinter/test/test_ttk/test_widgets.py",
line 947, in test_tab_identifiers
    self.fail("Tab with text 'a' not found")
AssertionError: Tab with text 'a' not found

[3/3/1] test_idle
2 tests OK.
1 test failed:
    test_ttk_guionly

In subsequent repetions all tests completed without error.

My completely unbased guess is that my system is too slow so that the Tab
was not yet there when the check was performed.

This is on Linux Mint 17 with

$ uname -mrs
Linux 3.13.0-24-generic x86_64

$ python3.5
Python 3.5.0b2+ (3.5:9aee273bf8b7+, Jun 25 2015, 09:25:29)
[GCC 4.8.4] on linux