Who uses IDLE -- please answer if you ever do, know, or teach

Rustom Mody rustompmody at gmail.com
Wed Aug 5 21:21:59 EDT 2015

On Thursday, August 6, 2015 at 6:36:56 AM UTC+5:30, Terry Reedy wrote:
> There have been discussions, such as today on Idle-sig , about who uses
> Idle and who we should design it for.  If you use Idle in any way, or
> know of or teach classes using Idle, please answer as many of the
> questions below as you are willing, and as are appropriate
>
> Private answers are welcome. They will be deleted as soon as they are
> tallied (without names).
>
> I realized that this list is a biased sample of the universe of people
> who have studied Python at least, say, a month.  But biased data should
> be better than my current vague impressions.
>
> 0. Classes where Idle is used:
> Where?
> Level?
>
> Idle users:
>
> 1. Are you
> grade school (1=12)?
> undergraduate (Freshman-Senior)?
> post-graduate (from whatever)?
>
> 2. Are you
> beginner (1st class, maybe 2nd depending on intensity of first)?
> post-beginner?
>
> 3. With respect to programming, are you
> amateur (unpaid)
> professional (paid for programming)
>
> --
> Terry Jan Reedy, Idle maintainer

I used idle to teach a 2nd year engineering course last sem
It was a more pleasant experience than I expected
One feature that would help teachers:
It would be nice to (have setting to) auto-save the interaction window
[Yeah I tried to see if I could do it by hand but could not find where]
Useful for giving as handouts of the class
So students rest easy and dont need to take 'literal' notes of the session

I will now be teaching more advanced students and switching back to emacs
-- python, C, and others -- so really no option to emacs.
Not ideal at all but nothing else remotely comparable