Display a cleaned version of a XChat log

Cecil Westerhof Cecil at decebal.nl
Sat Aug 1 10:33:20 EDT 2015

I discovered IRC again. ;-)

I want to use Python to display a cleaned version of the XChat logs.
One reason is that I keep channels open, and later want to look if
there was anything interesting. But most lines are status messages
that do not interest me and should be hidden from me.

A *VERY* rudimentary version is: http://pastebin.com/jD2c8GBV.

It gets rid of a lot of very uninteresting stuff, but also of a /me
line like:
    Aug 01 15:44:14 * Cecil wants to use python to display cleaned xchat logs.

Is there a way to recognise that a line is a /me line?

I want to put it in a GUI of-course. A lot of stuff has to be added:
- selecting log files
- continuing where I left of
- displaying the message from a certain period
- automatically updating open channels
- notifying when there is a message for myself
- …

I am open for interesting feature to add and tips how to implement
things.

--
Cecil Westerhof
Senior Software Engineer