l = range(int(1E9))

Ben Finney ben+python at benfinney.id.au
Thu Apr 30 19:12:33 EDT 2015

> Very easily and simply: Python 3 and Python 2 will always install
> separately, and the only possible conflicts are over the "python"
> command in PATH and which program is associated with ".py" files.

Calling ‘python’ is now ambiguous, and with Python 2 slipping inexorably
into the past, increasingly the ‘python’ command is the wrong choice for
code that we want to survive in the future.

I am seeing a growing call, with which I agree, to recommend explicitly
calling ‘python2’ or ‘python3’ as commands.

That includes when we type it for direct invocation, or when we set it
as the command for automatic execution of a program (e.g. in the
“shebang” line of a program).

Use the command ‘python2’ or ‘python3’ to be explicit about which Python
version you intend to run.

--
 \      “I don't want to live peacefully with difficult realities, and |
  `\     I see no virtue in savoring excuses for avoiding a search for |