Let exception fire or return None

Cecil Westerhof Cecil at decebal.nl
Thu Apr 30 08:22:08 EDT 2015

Op Thursday 30 Apr 2015 13:26 CEST schreef Cecil Westerhof:

>> try:
>> [line] = itertools.islice(f, index, index+1)
>> except ValueError:
>> raise IndexError
>> return line.rstrip()
>
> In my case it is not important. (The biggest file I use has between
> 100 and 200 lines), but I publish it, so I should do my best to make
> it so lean as possible.

Implemented and pushed to:
    https://github.com/CecilWesterhof/PythonLibrary/blob/master/filebasedMessages.py

Did some other optimisation's also. The function get_random_message
now calls get_indexed_message. Saves memory (on the old
implementation) and is more DRY.

I also enhanced get_nr_of_messages:
    def get_nr_of_messages(message_filename):
        i = -1
        with open(expanduser(message_filename), 'r') as f:
            for i, l in enumerate(f):
                pass
        return i + 1

Or can that be done better?