Question Installing latest Python

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Wed Apr 29 08:02:04 EDT 2015

On Wed, Apr 29, 2015 at 9:42 PM, Steven D'Aprano
> On Wed, 29 Apr 2015 04:57 pm, Φώντας Λαδοπρακόπουλος wrote:
>
>> Thank you very much Steven!
>>
>> Indeed it worked!!
>>
>> One last thing. Can you please explain to me inplain English what exactly
>> was that weird problem?
>
> Probably not. I'm not a C expert and don't really understand in full detail
> how dynamic shared libraries work.
>
> I *think* the problem was that Python was built to use dynamic libraries,
> but couldn't find them. I'm not sure how that works at the C level, but my
> guess is that it is something like importing a Python module. The Python
> executable couldn't find the libpython3.3m.so.1.0 shared library, so you
> used ldconfig to tell it where to find it.

I haven't been seeing posts from Φώντας, only the replies from Steven,
so I'm guessing something isn't crossing the news->mailing list
boundary for some reason. As a result, my understanding of the problem
is a bit spotty, but it seems there may be a chroot involved here.

>> [root at secure ~]# /opt/rh/python33/root/usr/bin/python -V
>> /opt/rh/python33/root/usr/bin/python: error while loading shared
>> libraries: libpython3.3m.so.1.0: cannot open shared object file: No such
>> file or directory

So it's possible that the chroot didn't have the correct
/etc/ld.so.conf.d entry for your Python binary, and thus the dynamic
linker couldn't find the shared library.

Beyond that, I don't really know enough about what's going on, sorry.
But maybe that's a starting point for an investigation.

ChrisA