Question Installing latest Python

Steven D'Aprano steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info
Mon Apr 27 10:55:14 EDT 2015

On Mon, 27 Apr 2015 01:11 am, Φώντας Λαδοπρακόπουλος wrote:

> Τη Κυριακή, 26 Απριλίου 2015 - 6:05:50 μ.μ. UTC+3, ο χρήστης Steven
> D'Aprano έγραψε:
>> On Mon, 27 Apr 2015 01:00 am, Φώντας Λαδοπρακόπουλος wrote:
>>
>> > Hello,
>> >
>> > Can you please tell me how to install latest Python 3.4.x without
>> > disturbing the other default python v2.7.5 intallation that i currently
>> > have on my VPS server and access it as Python 3?
>> >
>> > Thank you.
>>> Not unless you tell us more about your setup.
>> What operating system? Linux, OS X, Unix, Windows?
>> 32-bit or 64-bit OS?
>> Do you have root/Administrator access to the machine?
>> If you are running Windows, do you have a C compiler?
>> Have you read the instructions on the Python web site?
>>
>> --
>> Steven
>

> Yes, sure:
>
> CentOS 7.1
> x64 bit
> Root Access to the VPS

(1) Go here:

https://www.python.org/downloads/release/python-342/

(2) Choose the source distribution you want. Save it to your hard drive on
the server you will be working on.

(3) Unpack the file. Do you need help with unpacking?

(4) cd into the unpacked directory. Read the README file. Any questions?

(5) Run these three commands from the unpacked directory as a regular user,
not root:

    ./configure
    make
    make test

(6) Take careful note of any errors from those commands. Some warnings and
errors may be harmless. Feel free to ask about them here. You may prefer to
ignore normal output and only see errors:

    ./configure > /dev/null
    make > /dev/null
    make test > /dev/null

If there are any errors you do not understand, STOP! Read the README file
again. Does that tell you how to fix the problem? If not, ask for help
before proceeding.

(7) When you are satisfied that everything is okay run this:

    sudo make altinstall

or if you prefer:

    su
    make altinstall

(8) Test that everything works as expected by running these two commands:

    python -c "import sys; print sys.executable"

    python3.4 -c "import sys; print(sys.executable)"

You should see something like this:

/bin/python2.7
/usr/local/bin/python3.4

--