mac os core dump from detached process

Robin Becker robin at reportlab.com
Mon Apr 27 05:21:18 EDT 2015

I'm using the double fork exec model as exemplified in

http://code.activestate.com/recipes/278731-creating-a-daemon-the-python-way/

to run a django management command detached from any view. A database object is
used to store/update information about the process. The command does have a log
file and appears to work well on linux.

However, on my developer colleague's mac using the django development server the
job ends suddenly without passing through the try except finally that's supposed
to capture information.

I believe the only way it can do this is os._exit or an interrupt eg SIGSEGV etc
etc.

Is it possible to get core dumps on the Mac for  debugging purposes? Would the
detached process inherit flags etc etc from the starting process? I know little
about OS X/Mach.
--
Robin Becker