Diff between object graphs?

Dave Angel davea at davea.name
Wed Apr 22 21:56:42 EDT 2015

On 04/22/2015 09:46 PM, Chris Angelico wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 23, 2015 at 11:37 AM, Dave Angel <davea at davea.name> wrote:

>>> I was hoping to avoid doing this as I lose information.  BUT, its likely
>>> that this will be the best approach regardless of what other methods I use;
>>> there is just too much data.
>>>

>> Why would that lose any information???
>
> It loses information if event processing isn't perfectly deterministic.

Quite right.  But I hadn't seen anything in this thread to imply that.

I used an approach like that on the Game of Life, in 1976.  I saved
every 10th or so state, and was able to run the simulation backwards by
going forward from the previous saved state.  In this case, the analogue
of the "event" is determined from the previous state.  But it's quite
similar, and quite deterministic.

--
DaveA